Friday 13 June 2014

Travelling Essentials


Having my hand luggage full to the brim is something that I do every time I go travelling. My father looks at me stupid when he sees what I am filling it with, but I do need it all, honestly! Like, I need all my essential products to get me through the flight/drive/train ride and something to read and listen to is also a must have.

First off lets start with the non-beauty essentials. I nice spacious bag is essential. Not only to fill it with all the things you need to take from home but also for any bits and pieces that you find in the airport. I also think entertainment is essential too. Something to read or listen to on long journeys is very important to everyone. How awful is it when you just have to sit and listen to the boring conversation of the people in front of you or listen to the squealing children sat two rows behind you? Usually when I go travelling I take both a book and a magazine with me and then obviously my phone/tablet/laptop with a set of good, noise-cancelling earphones. I think it's very important that you plan ahead and get some good music, games and apps on your phone or tablet and pack a DVD or two for your laptop. Also, make sure you take a book that you know a little about. I can tell you from experience that it is awful to be on a 6 hour flight to find that you can't get into the book that you packed. I would also give the advice to get a magazine before you get to the airport. Many times I have left buying my magazine until I get to the duty free in the airport and been disappointed to find zero Vogue or Attitude magazines on the shelf. It's pretty much the same with books. Airports, other than the really big ones (Heathrow, Gatwick etc.), only get deliveries once a month-ish. This means thy may not have the current best sellers or the latest book that you want to read. 

Now lets move on to the beauty essentials!! Firstly, remember to keep them in a toiletries bag that you can fit inside your hand luggage bag. You don't want to find that due to the pressure change (if you're flying) has caused a bottle to explode all in your main hand luggage bag. Toiletry bags tend to have easy clean material inside too, so it's quick and simple to clean up any accidents. It's also essential you remember that you can't travel on planes with liquids that exceed 100ml. Two years back I took a bottle of my favourite aftershave through customs which was 150ml but was half empty and they still took it off me.:( All these liquid items must fit in a clear, resealable bag which can often be bought in the airport, and there's a maximum of one bag per passenger. Haha, I bet after reading that you think you're reading the customs website, but I promise you're still on my blog.
If I'm going on a short flight I will only take some face wipes to get off any product I am currently wearing to ensure that my face is kept as happy as it is possible when travelling. If the flight is a little longer I might take a cleanser and a face mask to just have an all out beauty hour on the flight. It makes your skin feel so much better and makes the flight much more enjoyable! 
You've probably heard it a thousand times but I'm gonna say it too, the air conditioning on planes is seriously not skin friendly. It's like a big moisture thief that slurps all the moisture out of your skin. Both a moisturiser and a lip balm is a crime to be without. It's seriously like self inflicted abuse if you don't! I love  to slap a thin layer on just after take-off and then a little more when  the plane lands and takes a million years to get from the runway and to the gate. On the topic of moisturising, I also love to take a hand moisturiser too. 
I also find that on longer flights or just a long time in the car/train can cause me to break out. I just pop a small spot zapper in my hand luggage to get the beasts before they set up camp on my face. How horrid!! 
For my hair, I tend to only chuck a brush/comb in my bag and some hair wax to just sort myself out before the plane lands. To be completely honest, I don't think it's absolutely essential to take them but it's always nice to give your hair a bit off life rather than just chucking it bag out of your face, eh?
I don't know about you but when I go travelling, especially when it's a long flight/drive I tend to get all uncomfortable and feel disgusting. To help me feel a little fresher I love to pack a little toothbrush and some deodorant. I think this is extremely important on night flights. Nothings worse than when you've had a long day, then a night flight and you can't brush your teeth and freshen up with a little deodorant. 
Also, before I land I love to chuck on a little concealer to cover up an imperfections and maybe a light weight BB cream if I can be bothered. Again, these are not absolutely essential but it can be a nice pick--me-up after a few hours of travelling.

My favorite products I like to take are:
Burts Bees or Carmex (mint) lip balm
Collection concealer
Dr. Jart BB cream
Simple face wipes
Freederm spot gel
VO5 Extreme Style putty
and finally, Body Shop hand moisturiser (rose scent is my fav).

Well I hope you enjoyed reading my favourite things to take with me while travelling and I would love to know what your essentials are too! Comment them below, don't be shy!!

Best wishes,
Luke. XOX

No comments:

Post a Comment